Susan Block had been selected by Vital Voice as their Editor’s Choice Lawyer in the VOICE your CHOICE October 2015 edition. The Vital VOICE is Missouri’s premier lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) lifestyle and entertainment source. Established in June 2000, Vital VOICE can boast over a decade of experience in delivering distinctive content that informs, empowers and entertains the LGBT and allied community.
Block has a long history of involvement serving the LGBT community:
- As a judge in the 1980s she ruled that criminalizing same sex activity was a violation of the equal protection clause as it did not apply to heterosexual persons.
- As administrative judge of the Family Court in St Louis County she was the first judge in metro St. Louis to preside over a same sex couple adoption cases and she provided education to judges and court personnel on LGBT issues and ensured that LGBT children in foster care were placed with appropriate families.
- She was president of Food Outreach in the 90s as well as an active volunteer. She served on the AIDS Foundation allocation committee, educating herself about the tremendous needs for services for children and adults suffering from HIV AIDS and making decisions about their funding. She participated in the AIDS Walks and provided leadership in the greater community for diverse volunteers.
- She served as the legal adviser and tireless volunteer for That Uppity Theater Company’s compelling production of “State of Marriage.”
- She is currently on the PROMO Governor’s Council and the HRC Federal House Counsel, both organizations that advocate for LGBT equality.
- As a lawyer in private practice she represents many LGBT families in various legal matters, opening up the justice system so they can access the administration of justice.
- She is frequently sought after for advice by other lawyers who do LGBT work.